Thursday, October 11, 2012

ACWS-Thursday Adventures

Personal note: I am normal everyday sailing fan who has taken the opportunity to enjoy the America's Cup World Series events which happens to be taking place in my own back yard. 

I didn't go down on Wednesday for the first day of racing because of work priorities, shame that has to happen ;-) But I was bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for Thursday. This time, it was dad and me going to see some match races, fleet races, and the Blue Angels (Navy flight show Team) do some practice flights.  We had another companion, my brothers Canon EOS10D! Time for some serious photography! BUT....dad and I screwed up the settings my brother had preset for us. So the pictures did not turn out as good as I was hoping.

These first two pictures were taken with my own new camera set in Miniature Mode, It's a setting that blurs the top and bottom of the image to make the middle look small. It makes things look toy like.




We made some new friends while being social with everyone in the crowd. This group we met were in town for OracleWorld convention


A brown pelican taking a dive for dinner.


My coolest picture of one of the Blue Angels





This is a replica of the America. The boat that back in 1851 won a race around the Isle of Wight. There is a lot of history in the Oldest Trophy in International sport. Wikipedia has an abbreviated version. 


In white, Andy Green the British half of the commentating crew.
He did a fantastic interview with Bob Fisher. I am looking forward reading his book The Poison Chalice due out Spring 2013. It's about all the trickery/cheating/sabotage/deceit/unfair play etc of the America's cup. That is another book that we will probably have to buy from Amazon.co.uk! 


First Match race, Artemis White beating Team Korea


Second Match race, Emirates Team New Zealand beating France Team Energy


Start of the first fleet race





JP Morgan BAR crossing the finish line first! (Rule, Britania! Britannia, rule the waves)
It was very exciting to see Ben and the rest of the BAR(on loan from Oracle) team doing so well!


The top skippers for the day appeared on stage. 






Now this is where I get into stupid mode. I am standing close to where Ben comes out into the crowd. He gives me a semi-look of recognition. Probably from his nightmares after my August stalking...Now you think I would be smart and say something like, "Great Job Today Ben, it's wonderful to seeing you and the team improve so much since August" , nooooooo not me.....I handed him my $%^& program for him to sign. After that I stepped back and followed him but snapping pictures are him signing pictures for others. Maybe, just maybe I would bump into them and recognise them in the future.  Which coincidentally happened on Sunday. I ran into the little girl on Sunday outside of the Lexus tent. I recognised her cute little hat. I showed her the picture.  I posted it to Ben's fan page on facebook so she could get a copy of it. 





That's it for Terrific Thursday! Next up is Super Sunday!





No comments:

Post a Comment